When customers pay via credit card, you can let them select a tip from the terminal (Web) or the tablet (iOS/Android). You can specify defaults to be shown as preset % or $. This is adjusted in Business Setup > Settings > Tipping. Learn more here.
Things to know:
- When collecting payment, you can set a tipping amount that is different from the subtotal. For instance, a hair salon may choose to prompt for a tip based only on services provided but not on materials used.
- If a tip-eligible amount has been set, existing configurations such as ‘suggest percentages’ and ‘smart tips’ will be calculated based on the tip-eligible amount.
- The reader will display both the tip-eligible amount and the subtotal.
Request tip through a customer-facing card terminal
When a card is tapped, dipped, or swiped at a card terminal, pre-populated tip amounts will appear on the screen (example: 10%, 15%, 20%).
If you choose % tipping - the client will choose between three preset % options and other using 1-9 keys then press enter (green button)
If you choose $ tipping - the client will choose between three preset $ options and other using 1-9 keys then press enter (green button)
Request tip through a customer-facing card terminal on a $0 service
For businesses that have membership programs, this feature allows you to request a tip on a service that is $0.
- When you are on the new ticket screen, and the service price is $0, you will see a downward-facing arrow next to the close ticket button (see screenshot). Click the downward-facing arrow and select Request Tip.
- On the next screen, you can select the card on file, key-in card, or swipe card and a request will be sent to the card terminal.
- The card terminal will display a service amount that is based on the regular service price (see the screenshot of the card terminal below).
- The customer can either select a % or $ amount (depending on your business settings).
- If the customer leaves a $0 tip you will see a notification that the customer has left a $0 tip and you should proceed with the ticket as usual.