Managing your inventory efficiently is crucial for the success of your business. In situations where using an Excel spreadsheet isn't your preferred method, manually adding products is a quick and straightforward alternative. In this article, we'll guide you through the steps of adding a new product manually to your inventory.
Things to Know:
- You can include external IDs for your Stock Keeping Units (SKUs) in MyTime, this is controlled by a hidden setting that can be enabled by our Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When the hidden setting to align SKU numbers with external IDs is enabled, the following behaviours come into play:
- SKU external ID will automatically be set to the same value as the SKU number when saved
- The system will only save the external ID if a SKU number is present. If there is no SKU number, the external ID will not be saved.
To get started:
- Navigate to POS > Inventory
- Click the Add Product button at the bottom-right corner of the page
- Enter the product details
- Photo - You can add an image of the product
- Product Name -The product name that the SKU corresponds to. This field is required.
- Category - The category associated with the product. This field is required.
- Brand - Brand of the product
- External ID (Product) - The external ID is a product identifier that you create when creating your products. Adding an external ID will make it easier to identify your products and be useful when updating or adding products using Ingest data. This ID will also be displayed on inventory exports.
- Active - Can this product be ordered?
- Description - Text description of the product, often provided by the manufacturer
- Sell to Clients (And Apply Taxes) - Should this product be sold to customers via the POS?
- Commission Eligible - Can this product be applied towards retail commissions? Select Yes if an employee is entitled to commission on selling this product. Else, select No.
- SKU Name - The name of the specific SKU you sell. It can include size, color, flavor, etc.
- SKU # - The unique stock-keeping unit associated with the specific version of the product
- Barcode - The number appearing directly below the barcode image on the SKU. You can use UPC or EAN format.
- External ID (SKU) - This is the SKU ID column used in CSV files when ingesting data. This field is only exposed if the hidden setting is enabled.
- Click Save when you have added all the new product details
Once you've successfully saved your product entry, you will be redirected to the main inventory page. Here, you can further customize and enhance your product information such as price, cost, quantity, etc.
To do this:
- Select the Add to Inventory link next to each SKU
- Add the following:
- Selling Price - The price paid by the client for the SKU
- Cost - The price paid to the vendor for the SKU, helping in profit margin calculations
- Backbar Quantity - The current stock of the back bar product. Back bar refers to products a staff member uses at a salon or business.
- Retail Quantity - The current stock of the product intended for retail sale
- On Order Quantity - This field is not editable. This displays quantities from a Purchase Order in ordered status. Learn more about On Order Quantity here.
- Min - The minimum stock level you wish to maintain for this product. When the stock is at or below this value, you will be alerted. The alerts will appear in the notification bell when you log into the MyTime website or Scheduler App and also be sent to location managers (if configured).
- Max - The maximum stock level desired for optimal inventory management; used to calculate the reorder amount
You can repeat the steps above to manually add additional products. To import your product list via spreadsheet, learn more here.
If you have any questions about adding products to Inventory, contact our Support Team at email@example.com.