By using custom fields, you can create and display a wide range of additional information in the client/pet/vehicle/family member profiles and appointment modal, including waiver, date, numeric, and text fields. This flexibility can be valuable for various purposes, such as tracking specific client details or preferences. Once a custom field is created, it can then be included in intake forms. In this article, we will walk through how to customize custom fields.
Things to know:
- For franchise businesses, custom fields can be created at the parent (franchisor) or child (franchisee) level
- The "Manage Client Setup" access control setting governs the ability to customize custom fields
- You can create different types of custom fields, which can be customized based on your business vertical. These types include:
Custom Client Fields: Custom fields for client-specific information
Custom Pet Fields: Custom fields for pet-related details
Custom Family Member Fields: Custom fields for family member information
Custom Vehicle Fields: Custom fields for vehicle-related information
Custom Appointment Fields: Custom fields related to appointment-specific data
Custom fields can be set as required fields. This means that clients, staff members, or anyone interacting with these fields must provide information for these fields before proceeding. It helps ensure that essential data is not left blank.
If custom fields are added to an intake form, they will appear online on the booking widget
Each time a client or staff member edits a custom field value, it overrides the previous value. This means that the most up-to-date information is stored in the custom field. This is particularly useful for keeping records current and accurate.
- Accessing Custom Fields Interface
- Custom Client Fields
- Custom Appointment Fields
- Custom Pet Fields
- Custom Vehicle Fields
- Custom Family Member Fields
- Field Options
- Field Types
Accessing Custom Fields Interface
To create custom fields:
- Navigate to the Clients tab
- Select Manage Clients
- Select Customize Client Fields
The following screen will appear, showing default fields and custom fields. Default fields typically include basic contact information, such as the client's name and contact details, which are essential for booking appointments. Other default fields might include additional information like date of birth and gender, which can be added to the intake form if desired. If the default fields already include all the necessary information you need from clients, you can proceed to set up your intake form without adding additional custom fields.
At the bottom of the page, you will see your Custom Fields. Custom Client Fields and Custom Appointment Fields are visible by default on all accounts. However, depending on your business type, you will have more than two Custom Fields section.
Custom Client Fields
- This section allows you to collect additional information on clients
- Information collected is stored on the client's profile
- Custom fields added to the client intake form will appear when the "Generate Intake Form" option on the client's profile is selected, as well as on the booking widget.
Custom Appointment Fields
- This section allows you to collect additional information on appointments
- Appointment custom fields, which are specific to appointments, are not displayed on client, pet, family member, or vehicle profiles. This also includes waivers.
- Appointment custom fields are applied universally to all appointments and are not specific to individual services
- Once configured, appointment-specific custom fields will be displayed below the list of services on the appointment modal. This placement ensures that the custom fields are easily accessible and visible to staff members
- Waiver appointment custom field, will be displayed in the notes section of the appointment modal
- When a new appointment is scheduled for an existing client, the custom field values from their previous appointment are automatically pre-filled.
- When an appointment is marked as completed, any custom fields associated with that appointment would be locked into "read-only" mode. This means that users can view the information but can't make any further modifications on that specific appointment.
- Custom fields added to the appointment intake form will appear when the "Generate Intake Form" option on the appointment modal is selected, as well as on the booking widget.
Custom Pet Fields
- Pet-specific custom fields are designed for collecting information about clients' pets, including their names, breeds, and any other relevant details. This is valuable for pet-related businesses, such as grooming salons or veterinary clinics.
- Information collected is stored on the pet's profile
- Custom fields added to the pet intake form will appear when the "Generate Intake Form" option on the pet's profile is selected, as well as on the booking widget.
Custom Vehicle Fields
- Vehicle custom fields are tailored for businesses that provide services related to automobiles. These fields can capture information about clients' vehicles, such as make, model, year, and service history.
- Information collected is stored on the vehicle's profile
- Custom fields added to the vehicle intake form will appear when the "Generate Intake Form" option on the vehicle's profile is selected, as well as on the booking widget.
Custom Family Member Fields
- Family member custom fields are used to gather information about the client's family members. This applies to businesses with the family member feature enabled
- Information collected is stored on the family member's profile
- Custom fields added to the family member intake form will appear when the "Generate Intake Form" option on the family member's profile is selected, as well as on the booking widget.
To create a custom field for clients/pets/family members/vehicles or appointments:
- Click Add Field in the appropriate section
- Click the dropdown in the 'Field Type' section to select what type of field you'd like to create (checkbox, dropdown, short answer, waiver, etc).
- Next, complete the field options then Save
Enter the name of the custom field
For every custom field, you can set up a tooltip that will be visible when the client is editing. You can add what should be displayed on the tooltip in the Field Tooltip section. See the screenshot below.
Field Regex & Field Regex Error Message
This allows you to add custom validations to various fields (e.g. validation that field can have a max of 9 digits). It is applicable only to short-answer custom fields.
Short Answer Dependencies
You can disable/hide a field in case another field has any value OR is empty OR has a specific value. For example, you can hide custom field B, if custom field A has value OR custom field A is empty.
Enter a question and give potential solutions to your client to choose from utilizing a checkbox menu.
|Date Field||Enter a question and give clients the option to select a date from the calendar|
Enter a question and give potential solutions to your client to choose from utilizing a drop-down menu.
|Email Field||Give clients the option to enter an additional email address|
You can set a reminder badge to appear on client profiles and appointments when that client is overdue for something (e.g., complete their annual evaluation, update expired records, etc). You can also send automated emails to clients on the date of expiration by activating the “Expiration reminder” email on the Automated Messages page.
Please note: This is a different email than the Rebooking Reminder emails which go out automatically when a client is overdue for a specific service.
Learn more here
Enter a question and give potential solutions to your client to choose from utilizing a list.
Enter a question and give potential solutions to your client to choose from utilizing multiple selections.
|Paragraph||Enter a question and let customers provide a long answer|
|Phone||Give clients the option to enter an additional phone number|
|Short Answer||Enter a question and let customers provide a short answer. This field can also be marked as required. This means that it will be automatically added to intake forms and cannot be removed unless the "is required" toggle is disabled. Clients, staff members, or anyone interacting with these fields must provide information for these fields before proceeding.|
Give clients the option to complete a waiver and sign. Learn more here
After creating the appropriate custom fields, they may be added to intake forms. Learn about intake forms here.
For more information contact us at email@example.com.