The membership configuration possibilities range from credits for products, services, and classes to value credits that can be spent at your business to discounts on specified items. For franchise businesses, the memberships can be created at the global (parent) level or the franchisee (child) level.
In this article, we will look at the process of setting up your memberships. Before we begin, please note the following:
- In order to be able to sell memberships, you must have a membership subscription. Learn more here.
- The membership configuration page is access controlled and requires the "Access Memberships" permission to be turned on in order for staff members to have access to configure memberships. This can be found by going to Staff & Availability > Access Controls Settings > selecting the Business Setup option > Memberships.
- Memberships can be set up within the following guidelines:
- Membership Item Credit (get x services/classes/products for free each month; can rollover if unused).
- Membership Value Credit (get x amount to spend each month; can rollover if unused).
- Discounts (% or $) off services, products, and classes.
- If a membership is deleted, you cannot create a new membership using the same name as the deleted membership.
- Membership prices can differ by location or location group.
- Membership discounts - staff commission can be calculated on the pre-discount or post-discount value
- Membership item credit - staff commission can be calculated on the internal price set or the regular retail price.
- Membership is considered “used/ redeemed” after the ticket is closed OR after the appointment/class session has been completed, whichever comes first.
Setting up Memberships
Once you have added a membership subscription, you are now ready to configure your membership program. Here are the steps:
1. Go to Business Setup > Memberships tab
2. Select the location where you want the membership to be sold in the location filter.
3. Click on the +Add New Membership link
4. Enter the Membership name
5. Once you have entered the membership name and save it, you will be given the option to do the following:
Configure Membership Settings
On this page, you will be able to add general details about the membership.
- Membership Name: This is what the membership will be called throughout the software - in POS, client profile, and reports.
- Description: Any details you want to add about the membership.
- Billing Frequency: This is the frequency the membership fee will be charged to the client's credit card on file.
- Select upfront payment to charge clients one time for the entire membership period.
- Select monthly payments to charge the membership fees as monthly payments during the membership period.
- Billing Cycle: This is where you decide if payment will be due on a specific day of the month or it is based on the purchased date.
- Contract Period: Indicates whether the membership is indefinite (no expiration date) or it is just for a certain term/period. If a term is selected then you will be able to enter the duration of the membership. Will it be X days, weeks, months, or years. If 12 months is selected, membership credits will be generated and added to the account each month for 12 months. If 1 year is selected, membership credits will be generated and added to the account once per year.
- Apply discounts only to locations where membership can be purchased: This setting is ON by default, but you can disable it at any time.
- When enabled, the discount will only be applied to locations where the membership can be purchased.
- When disabled, it will allow the discount to be applied at ANY location selected on the discounts tab.
- Auto-Renew: If this box is checked, the membership will renew automatically after the initial period has ended.
- Enable Online Purchase - Set whether the membership can be purchased through the booking or membership purchase widget.
- Registration Fee Amount: This is a one-time fee that is charged when the membership is purchased.
- Pause Fee Amount: This is a fee that is charged when a client pauses their membership.
- Cancellation Fee Amount: This is a fee that is charged when a client cancels their membership.
- Rollover Unused Benefits: This determines if unused membership value credits and item credits are rolled over to the next membership period or if they're lost forever.
- Upgrade Membership After Expiry To: This allows you to choose that when an existing membership expires, the client will automatically be upgraded to a different one more than likely one with additional benefits.
Once you have completed all the necessary fields, you can select the Price tab.
Setup Membership Price
On the Membership Price page, you will be able to set the amount the client will pay for the membership. If you have multiple locations, you can set the membership price per location or location group.
Things to know:
- Location groups can be found on the membership price page in the location dropdown.
- Global membership prices are only editable from the parent level.
- When saving a membership at the location group level, it will override the prices at all of the location group’s locations.
- When saving a membership at the location level, it will only affect the price at that location.
- When a location is added to a location group, it will inherit the location group’s membership pricing.
To get started:
- Click on the edit icon of the membership that you created in the previous step.
- Click on the Membership Price tab and then click the +Add Membership Price link.
- Enter the amount and then select the location where the price should be applicable. Once you have done that, you can select the +Add Membership Price link again to add the price for another location or group.
- Once you are satisfied with the pricing option for each location, you can go ahead and select the Discount tab.
You've created your memberships and set your pricing options. The next step is to add membership discounts. This can be done on the Discounts page.
- On the Discounts tab select the +Add Discount link
- Here you will be able to set up membership $ and % discounts that can be applied to services, products, and classes. As well as determine if staff commission should be calculated on the pre or post discounted value.v
- Qualified Items - Choose whether the discount is applicable to services only, classes only, products only, or a mixture. You can also select the service variation, class variation, or SKU.
- Location - Select whether the discount should apply to all locations or a specific location.
- Discount Value - The discount can be a flat dollar value ($) or a percentage (%).
- Calculate Staff Commissions - Determine if staff commissions should be calculated on the pre-discount or post-discount value. This will override the general company setting 'Calculate service/product commission post discount' on the Settings page.
Once you are satisfied with your changes, click on the Credits tab.
Membership credits can be configured on the Membership Credits page. You can set value credits or item credits.
Value credits are applied during checkout on the payment screen in POS. They can only be used for services and products.
To set a value credit, simply enter the amount in the field below Value Credits.
- If the value credit applies to products only, membership value credit will only show up if a product is on the ticket. It will say Product Credit on the payment screen in POS.
- If the value credit applies to services only, membership value credit will only show up if an appt is on the ticket. It will say Service Credit on the payment screen in POS.
- If the value credit applies to both services and products, membership value credit will show up if an appointment OR product is on the ticket. It will say Service and Product Credit on the payment screen in POS.
Item credits refer to items a member can receive as part of their membership. They can get x services/classes/products for free each month. If you want to set item credits, click on the +Add Item Credits link.
To add a service credit:
- Choose the services option from the first dropdown menu
- Choose a service category from the second dropdown menu
- Choose the service variation from the third dropdown menu
- Add the quantity
The same steps can be used to add product or class credits.
Since clients do not pay anything when using a service credit, you can set a price for staff commissions. You can set a price for each item, location, or staff. We will use the price set to base the percentage staff commissions.
If no price is set, we will use the regular retail price to calculate staff commissions. This means for services in membership, we will use the price set on the service menu and for products, in membership, we will use the price set in inventory.
.To set the price for staff commissions, select the 'Set price for Staff commissions' link.
A modal will appear, select + Add Commission Price link.
- Choose the item variation from the first dropdown menu.
- Choose a staff from the second dropdown menu.
- Add the price that should be used to calculate commission for items covered by the membership.
- Choose the location from the third dropdown menu.
Once you are satisfied with your changes, select the Publish Membership button at the bottom of the page.
You're all set. Now you can start selling memberships!
The membership created can be seen in POS under Memberships and on Client Profile.
- Selling Memberships in POS
- Purchase and Apply Package / Membership Benefits on the Same Ticket
- Purchasing Memberships on the Booking Widget
- Appointments in Membership
- Products in Membership
- Classes in Membership
- Commission on Appointments and Products in Membership
- Reconciliation for Memberships
- Membership Roster Report
- Membership Payments Report